Dairy or/and meat sheep: Meat
Source of information: Research, Animal Science Dep.
Level of solution:
Just Being Tested
Aim: To plan sustainable feed balance and requirement during pregnancy for a better health for ewe and lamb.
- A technical key note for the balanced requirement for a ewe under different regions will be provided and also some recommendations will be made from pre mating to post-partum.
- BCS with leaflets and posters will be introduced for objective evaluation of the body mass change under different physiological state of the animals in order to train observation techniques.
Expected benefits: Ewe nutrition based on feed planning will ensure a sustainable and continuously gestation success and reduce the risks of lamb loses. BCS evaluation would be another tool for positive control of the flock.
Prerequisites and/or limits (knowledge, training, capabilities, cost, management, facilities, equipment, etc.)
- Is very simple text but needs planning
- Farmers need to fallow the recommendations
- Some recommendations need training and time
Tips & Tricks:
- Ewe nutrition for optimum lamb birth weight
- Producing high feed value silage
- Using yokes for BCS grouping
- BCS grid for dairy sheep
- Sentinel breeds to monitor BCS
|Issue||NUTRITION QUALITY DURING PREGNANCY|
|Solution No/Name||23-Technical note on ewe nutrition|
|Service provider/technicians+vet or farmers|
|Benefit expected||Increase productivity
better labor organisation
better feed management
|Is the solution suitable for various production systems||Y||dairy &meat|
|If no - for which system|
|What are the asset costs||<100||100-500||500-1000||1000-10000||>10000|
|What are the maintenance costs||<50||50-100||100-500||500-1000||>1000|
|Any limits to its applicability|
|How much time is required to prepare and implement the solution||1 day - 1 week||<1 day||1 day - 1 week||>=1week|
|How many people is needed to implement the solution?||1 person|
|How long it takes to get results?||>=1week||Immediate||<1 day||1 day - 1 week||>=1week|
|How long it takes to see an effect on sheep productivity?||current production period||current production period||next production period||>next production period|
|What kind of equipment/tool are necessary?|
|Does the solution need any specific skill/knowledge or training?||yes|
|How much time will be required for training||1-2 days|
|Is there any particular regulation link to the solution?||no|
|Does the solution need any particular structure or organisation?||yes, it needs the knowledge of BCS|